Ocular injuries

The mildest contusion injuries, superficial eyelid wounds not extending to the lid margin, common foreign bodies as well as mild erosions and chemical lesions can be treated by a general practitioner. In other injuries and obscure cases the patient is referred to an ophthalmologist. See table .If there is a suspicion of a penetrating eye injury, the patient is immediately transported supine with both eyes covered to an ophthalmological emergency unit.Upon getting an irritating or corrosive substance in the eye, irrigation of the eye is started immediately with ample amounts of water or physiological saline.