Corneal ulcers and keratitis

A corneal ulcer as a possible cause of ocular symptoms is looked for by using corneal fluorescein staining. The general practitioner can treat an erosion caused by mechanical trauma. The aetiological diagnosis and treatment of other corneal ulcers should be left to an ophthalmologist.