Tasks of antenatal clinics are listed below.
Provide the expectant mother with information and guidance regarding the pregnancy, childbirth and care of the newborn.
Offer a wide range of psychosocial support and identify the need of such support; attention should be paid to
- the life situation and well-being of the parents and the whole family, as well as factors contributing to or possibly decreasing the quality of life
- the changes in family relations and resources brought about by the baby.
- Identify any health risks to the foetus or mother so that any problems can be duly attended to, either at the antenatal clinic or by specialist intervention.
- Provide routine care of various illnesses and complaints.
- Identify situations which require specialist health care.